Saturday, December 17, 2011

oh no! its almost xmas!!

Usually, I can get my act together. But this year I cant seem to catch up.
Im going to admit it, I do not have a clue what I am going to do for Christmas this year.


But I do have tamales in the freezer and that means its Christmas Time baby!

For those of you that do not know this, in the latino community its very very common to have tamales for Christmas. But now I think that its been adopted as a Texas tradition. It wouldnt be Christmas without them.
Are you looking for the BEST tamales ever? If so, I am gonna help you out.
They will even ship them to you!

Everytime I go to San Antonio, I try to make a special trip to Tellez Tamaleria on South Gen. McMullen.

Here is the actual address: 1737 S General McMullen Dr San Antonio, TX 78237
phone: (210) 433-1367

Tellez has got the traditional Tex-Mex version of the pork tamale down pat. But the jalepeno pork ones are to die for. They used to not take orders but now they do and I believe that they now ship tamales too.

If you are driving in from out of town, call ahead and have Mr. Tellez put on hold the types & amount of tamales you need. And yes, they are worth it! These tamales are so good that the first time I had them, I started crying. They tasted JUST like my grandmothers.

If you like barbacoa-this is the place to get it from too. They have a 'leaner' one that is so good. They also make their own tortillas (corn and flour). Ok Im just gonna give in, if you go call me and let me place an order with you-lol.

My typical christmas menu is:
tamales, rice, beans. tortillas, chili con carne for the tamales. champurado (mexican hot chocolate), pan dulces & bunuelos (mexican pastries) I can get that locally. My dad is a diabetic so I am going to have to find something just for him to enjoy. And if you are a vegetarian or on a diet, DONT come over to my house. You will be miserable!

OMG! I just saw that there is going to be a Napoleon Dynamite cartoon that permiers on Jan 15th.
Freakin Sweet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment